Violate! The Honk of Parking Permits

Madison Fung, Reporter

Driving is a privilege not a right. This is what many teenagers have been taught while learning to drive. Should it be a privilege to park in the school parking while students attend school?
Many students do have a lot money to spend on their behalf. Some upperclassmen are able to find jobs to work during the weekend. The Institute of Social Research of the University of Michigan did a study of what high school workers spend their money. The study stated “High school seniors spend their earnings on clothes, music, eating out and other personal expensive.” Most high school students who are able to find jobs spend their money on their own personal gain not for the school’s gain like parking passes.
Here at Ashland High School, parking permits are required for upperclassman who want to park their car in the school parking lot. Students are required to pay a twenty dollar fee for a year. If student gets a parking pass for two years, they would spend forty dollars in total.
The main concern about the parking passes is that the students do not know where the money is going towards. Anna Werthasier, a senior states that “There is no money going towards the parking lots so there is no point of paying for fee.” However, here at Ashland High School the parking permits money goes towards the parking lot. Callie Mercer, the school’s secretary stated that “the money goes to the parking lot upkeep and care. The parking lot is graded, the holes are filled up and periodically the lines are remark once in awhile.” Russ Johnson elaborated, “It specifically doesn’t pay for anything else, it strictly goes for the parking lots. The maintenance crew is in charge of scheduling and what needs to be done for parking lots.”
Ordinarily, not all of the students that have cars have to park at those parking lots. They can park on the side street on Iowa street or the streets across the football field. Not every students has to pay for parking pass if they own a car. Frequently, those streets fill up quickly by other cars so the students are forced to park in those parking lots that require a pass. Most students do not have enough money to spend it on a parking pass. Students who work part time only earn about two hundred dollars a week. Frankly, most students struggle to find money to buy a car. Quin Steiner, a junior states that “Some students do not have enough money because they bought a car and stuff.” The majority of the upperclassman who have a job only work part time. Most cars cost around a couple thousand dollars. It takes months to save up for a car. Plus the same students are required to pay for gas and maintenance for the car.
Ashland High School is not the only school in the Rogue Valley that requires students to get a parking permit. Eagle Point High School and North Medford High School require upperclassmen to get parking permits if they wish to park in the school’s parking lots for ten dollars or twenty dollars each year. This ensure that students who park there are students at that school. When students wish to get a permit, they are require to fill out a form. The form requires the student’s driver license number, the type of car they own and license plate number. This prevent unwelcome strangers from trespassing onto school property. A school official can easily patrol the parking lot and can distinguish between a student’s car and a stranger’s car.
In conclusion, the parking permits that allow students to park in their parking lots act as a privilege. Only a few selected students who wish to park in lots can for a fee of twenty dollars.