Alpine Ski and Snowboard Team 2017

Ana Ferguson, Reporter

While Ashland High School (AHS) transitions into its second semester, many athletically inclined students bundle up and prepare to hit the slopes of Mt. Ashland. Mt. Ashland is a hub for the students who choose to partake in various winter sports including snowboarding and Alpine or Nordic skiing. Tourists flock to Ashland in the winter to enjoy the natural beauty of the snow-capped mountains. Unfortunately, for the past two years, a lack of snow has impeded AHS’s winning streak in the winter competitions. This year, however, the athletes are lucky enough to be able to practice their sport under good conditions. The deluge of snow that hit Mt. Ashland and the Rogue Valley this winter gives the AHS students a great advantage in their upcoming events. 

AHS junior Haley Mullane is excited to enter her third year on the AHS snowboarding team. She’s observed that the amount of snow this year has helped her ability to prepare for future meets, but she also affirms that there’s an incredible amount of talent on the snowboarding team. Mullane is confident that the batch of girls on the team are proficient and notes that “this year there are a lot of professional girls on the team,” who will hopefully dominate their upcoming competitions.

The ski team agrees that the amount of snow on the mountain has created a positive impact on the teams’ practices. It is sophomore Mina DeVore’s second year on the AHS ski team, yet she has skied for most of her life. Although there was snow on the mountain last year, DeVore acknowledged that the patchy amount of snow on the mountain was less favorable than the abundance of snow currently. “The light, almost fluffy snow is a lot easier to practice and compete on than the typical icy conditions,” DeVore stated.

Combined, the winter sports teams seem to be off to a great start this year, and the massive snowstorm that closed AHS for multiple days has opened up new possibilities for both skiers and snowboarders.