Civil Rights, Yearbooks, Sports: The Digitized Archive of Rogue News

Ninety eight years ago, on March 1, 1915, a group of students published the first edition of a small school newspaper called The A.H.S. Rogue. Overtime, the newspaper underwent brief breaks in publication as journalism teachers came and went; however, as a product of the school’s dedication to student reporting, it still exists today under a name it adopted early in its history: The Rogue News. For years, the past editions of this newspaper have been lost. There have been just a few, scattered editions that managed to survive the test of time. Bill Gabriel decided to change that.

Mr. Gabriel’s roll in the Rogue News has been pivotal. Under his guidance, the reading base has expanded and the newspaper has been modernized for the 21st century with the addition of the online edition and a plethora of modern features such as videos, slideshows and audio recordings. Anyone that knows Mr. Gabriel would tell you that he is never content with leaving things as they are. As a teacher he is known for encouraging students to push their limits, and as the adviser of this publication, his pursuit of excellence was equally established. Thus, instead of slowly settling down into retirement, he was dedicated to going out on a bang. For years, a role of 16mm film had sat on his desk, with the handwritten “Rogue News” on the front. Before he left, Bill Gabriel wanted to show everyone what was on it.

Last spring his dream was finally put into motion. He contacted the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program at the University of Oregon which specialized in digitizing old Oregon newspapers. The canister of film was sent off, and this past week, the group scanned the last piece of film, adding the first student newspaper to their collection. On their website is a nearly complete archive of the Rogue News. In addition, the papers will be added on a weekly basis to this website in the “Original Rogue News” tab. Contained within the pages is a history of our school, town and country. The stories cover as trivial issues as the cost of yearbooks, and as controversial issues as the Ku Klux Klan on campus. We encourage you to explore the pages and in doing so your past.