What It Takes To Be a Rogue News Editor

From left to right: Joseph Yaconelli, Sarah Bestor, Tim Kiesling, Regina McGough

“Rogue News is a place where as students we can give the community and the rest of the student body a taste of originality.” Mimi Schaefer said when asked why Rogue News is so special. Rogue News is Ashland High School’s way to get coverage of current events in and out of school through the online website and paper. There are currently seven editors total in both classes, most of them said they started Rogue News as a junior and started editing at the beginning of the second semester, officially becoming editors their Senior year.

According to Joseph Yaconelli, to be a Rogue News editor it takes “Perseverance, agility, time, maturity, I think it takes the ability to control your emotions, it takes ingenuity, sympathy, empathy, compassion, strong philosophy and an unwavering sense to do good.” After multiple interviews with both the Rogue News print and Rogue News online every single editor said it takes patience and dedication. Katy Barnard said “It can get a little insane, but I LOVE it.”

From left to right: Mimi Schaefer-Sharp, Allayana Darrow, Katy Barnard

With six of the seven editors being seniors, they want to leave with hope that Rogue News will continue to do great things. “I hope a lot of people continue this class, we have a lot of good writers that can only get better and every year you learn something new and that’s why this class is so valuable,” Regina McGough commented. Tim Keisling hopes Rogue News will  “Continue to cultivate the forward momentum we created this year.” And Sarah Bestor’s final hope is “For more coverage of Rogue News on this campus, and more appreciation for the Rogue News and the Rogue News staff.” Let’s make these hopes come true, join Rogue News.

Tim Kiesli
    Tim Kiesling addressing students in Rogue News Online