The Pear Blossom Princess

The Pear Blossom Princess

Zaida LaRose, Reporter

For Ashland High School Senior Caitlin Campbell, academics go hand in hand with fun. As the AHS princess for the 2015 pear blossom pageant, Campbell will be participating  in a series of tasks along side several other girls who are eager to acquire the two thousand dollar scholarship grand prize.  But the pageant is not just about the prize money. “We went and collected donations for Hearts With a Mission and for the Maslow project.” Said Caitlin. Both events will be featured in a video that will be shown on the day of the pageant. Additionally, the pageant is based on merit, academic achievement, community involvement, and leadership, rather than solely on beauty. Overall, the pear blossom pageant is no  piece of cake. “There’s a lot of preparation that goes into it.” Said Campbell.  Two hours every Monday, to be specific. Each princess presents an essay that is then followed by an interview session, and finally, two on-stage questions. “Because I’m so involved in theater I’m really comfortable in front of people, so I don’t have any problem with the interview or the on-stage questions.” Campbell said. “I feel pretty confident going into it.” Each princess receives a five hundred dollar scholarship, and the pear blossom queen will receive a two thousand dollar scholarship. Campbell is excited by the prospect of winning the pageant and being crowned Pear Blossom Queen, but is happy with simply having the opportunity to participate in the first place. She smiled as she expressed her fondness for the other princesses. “It not like it’s competition, It’s just kind of fun now.” The Pear Blossom pageant took place on the 28th of March at North Medford High School Auditorium and Campbell took the place of second runner up. Congratulations Caitlin!