The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Tessa Buckley, Preston Mead, Julia Laurenson, Jon Connely, Michael Burt and Grace Pruitt. Photo courtesy of Betsy Bishop

Sarah Bestor, Editor-in-Chief

Cast members of the musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee are Jonathan Connolly, Amelia Sorensen, Tristan Ferris, Liam Atkins, Julia Laurensen, Preston Mead, Tessa Buckley, Grace Pruitt, Michael Burt, David Lee, Caitlin Campbell and Kyle Storie. This production is coming to Ashland High School Thursday-Saturday, April 30-May 2 and May 7-9 at 7 p.m. (note earlier time)  with two matinees on Sunday, May 3 and 10 @ 2 p.m. The play is about six elementary school students (grades  4th – 8th), competing at a county spelling bee. Rogue News got the chance to interview two of the stars, Tessa Buckley and Michael Burt about their experiences and why you should come and see the play.

Buckley is playing Logainne Schwrazandgrubenierre (Schwrazy). This is her third play at Ashland High School. According to Buckley, “[in the play] everyone has unique personalities that combine to create this unique and stressful event.”

Burt is playing Leaf Coneybear.  This is Burt’s first main role, although you may have previously seen him as King Louie the 13th in The Three Musketeers, last spring. Burt believes the music is one of the best parts of the play and that is why you should see it.   The play is being directed by Christine Williams, who previously directed, West Side Story.  Stage management is being done by junior, Christopher Radley.

“This play is about the growth of kids, it is hilarious and you will laugh your butt off,” Buckley states.  So, please come see The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, this May at Ashland High School.