Views on Vouchers

January 4, 2019

The school vouchers that are available in 14 states and the District of Columbia allow parents to choose the school their children will attend using public funds. Vouchers redistribute funds typically allocated to a school district from state education funds and give them to individual families to help pay for private school tuition. Many argue that the voucher system creates a competitive education mar- ket, providing monetary incentives that promote the improvement of schools. Others question if it is a proper use of taxpayers’ money.

States have the freedom to establish laws relating to the public schools under their jurisdiction. This includes creating a voucher program. For example, Utah has a limited school voucher program that is available only to students with disabilities. In addition to other requirements, the students must have attended a public school prior to requesting a school voucher. Other states have different requirements for their voucher programs. In Maine, students are not required to have attended public school before requesting school vouchers.

In Oregon, school vouchers are not an option under any circumstances. However, Oregon provides alternatives such as charter schools and magnet schools, which are publicly funded. In 2014, the Education Equity Emergency Act was proposed in the state legislature. If the act had been approved, there would have been the option to create educational school vouchers for private school tuition, and other educational expenses in Oregon. The majority of Oregon’s students go to a public school assigned to them based on their zip code. Jenna Altig from Young Conservatives Club and Lilli Morrish from Young Democrats Club argue their beliefs about school vouchers below.

Young Democrats

While conceptually, the educational freedom promised by school vouchers seems promising, the reality is that in application, the voucher system is completely unable to deliver on its lofty goals. Vouchers run counter to religious liberty as promised in the First Amendment: they divert public taxpayer money to religious institutions as 75% of private schools are religiously affiliated according to the National Center for Education Statistics. In addition, these public funds are supporting educational institutions that are free to deny admission to students based on any criteria they like, including religion, disability or language ability. The majority of citizens don’t even want this program. Since 1967, 23 states’ constituents have failed measures for voucher programs and tax aid to private schools. The greatest issue with vouchers, however, is that they undermine opportunities for low-income and minority students. Capitalism is fun in theory, but most voucher programs do NOT cover the full cost of tuition and fees for private schooling, and also don’t take into account commute time and cost, ignoring accessional freedom promised by ability. Only high-income students get to take part in this inherently flawed and exclusive capitalist fantasy of “educational competition,” while students in poverty are further pushed to the margins. When vouchers are implemented, local public schools – so-called “bad” schools – are still often the only accessible educational institutions for low-income communities, and then they are promptly shut down. Instead of giving these students opportunities, vouchers are undermining the very institutions they rely on. The solution is to help struggling schools and taking into consideration why they are struggling, instead of abandoning at-risk communities. Voucher programs enable politicians to ignore real educational issues like class size, funding, and teacher salary. There is no valid reason to siphon money away from the public schools that 91% of US students attend, according to the Department of Education, and pour it into unregulated religious institutions that do nothing to increase educational accessibility.