Bent Gender

Bent+Gender

[cincopa AMIAKbaUEDmV]

Last Saturday night, January 8, hordes of AHS students showed up in their finest drag at Science Works for Gay Straight Alliance’s annual Gender Bender dance. Not only an opportunity to admire peers and teachers (here’s looking at you, Jay Preskenis) adorned in exaggerated versions of the opposite sex’s clothing (aka tight leather jackets with bras for boys, Russell Brand for girls), it proved, once again, to be a successful way to raise money for a greater cause.

“I think it is nice to see people wear something bold… to put themselves out there. It isn’t something teens would normally do, and it’s a good way to see a creative side of our student body,” Gay Straight Alliance co-president Drew Woods said.

In 2010, GSA donated all of their funds to the Haiti earthquake cause, this year the $1200 made from the dance will be donated to our local Dunn House. Through Ashland Community Works, the Dunn House provides safety and supportive services to victims of domestic violence. “I think it’s important that we donate to a more local cause,” GSA co-president Catherine Ramirez, commented, “It feels like we are directly making an impact in our community.”

For more information on GSA, who they are and what they do, check out out their Facebook page at: AHS Gay Straight Alliance.