Hometown Networking

Hometown Networking

Ashland High School alumni David Fincher was awarded the Golden Globe last Sunday, January 16, for Best Director in the 2010 motion picture The Social Network. There is no doubt that Fincher will steal some spotlight at the 2011 Academy Awards.

Director of over seven hit films and 12 well-acclaimed music videos, Fincher has worked closely with highly praised actors (celebrities) and producers such as Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. His line of accomplishments also includes collaborating with Madonna, Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul and The Rolling Stones.

After he graduated from ol’ AHS, he acquired hands-on work in the film industry, with such productions as Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Fincher then moved on to directing his own films, you might have seen them…Se7en, a physiological thriller that grossed over $100 million in the box office, Fight Club (can’t talk about it, though) and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (it never gets old!).

The Social Network, his latest production, won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture, Best Screenplay and Best Original Score. It stars Jesse Eisenberg as Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg in the trials and tribulations of building the largest social networking empire in the world. Audiences viewed the interpretation, through the eyes of Fincher and Best Screenplay winner Aaron Sorkin, of the law suits and slander of the corporate world in Facebook’s beginnings that not even Justin Timberlake could make appealing.

Dealing with greater themes of friendship, power and loyalty, The Social Network, which has grossed over $200 million worldwide, has been called the film that “defines the decade” by Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers. With such rave reviews, it is no secret that Fincher’s fame has just started to roll out. More literally, it will roll out next month on the red carpet where we wish him success in his nominated categories.

The film claims that with 500 million friends you have to make a few enemies; well David, if you’re out there somewhere, Ashland High School would like to message you, or friend you, or maybe just poke you. Exceptional work.