Emalie Kamrath at the First Friday Art Walk

Emalie Kamrath has been interested in art for her entire life. She was raised in a family of artists, and she feels like her skill is unique to her alone. She uses several mediums for her art, including charcoal, acrylic, pastel and oil paints, which are her latest venture. Kamrath also admits to a great interest in photography.

When asked if she is planning to sell her pieces, she says, “Someone once told me that the time to sell your art is when you have mastered it, when you’ve succeeded in all the techniques, the colors, when you’ve learned something from it and are able to repeat that lesson, that’s when you are ready to sell.” Kamrath doesn’t deny that selling an original piece will be hard, but she thinks that that’s just a process of letting yourself go a bit. She is inspired by everything and everyone around her, and sometimes inspiration just works its way into a simple picture.

Kamrath’s plan for a while was to go to college and study art, but she has pulled away somewhat from that idea. “I am not saying I won’t end up doing art professionally, but there are a lot of other things I want to do as well. I will always do art, it’s a big part of me, I just can’t guarantee that I’ll be making money off of it,” she says. If everything goes as planned, some of Kamrath’s paintings will be displayed at the JEGA gallery on A St. in March for the art walk.