Historian Hitting The Rogue Valley

Hampton Sides in the Rogue Valley, photo provided by the Jackson County Library Foundation

On Wednesday, February 29, the Rogue Valley will get an exciting and rare chance to see Hampton Sides present a lecture on the art and craft of narrative non-fiction at the South Medford High School auditorium starting at 7:30 pm. Side, a historian, bestselling author, and contributor to such periodicals as  National Geographic, The New Yorker, and Esquire, has written such narratives as Americana, Blood and Thunder and Ghost Soldiers. Sides has also been nominated twice for National Magazine Awards for feature writing. The event is expected to be both entertaining and insightful as Side’s approach to writing history is different than those you may have heard of before. Side writes narratives, as he claims he is not such fan of historical texts because they tend to be boring and not give justice to the amazing story that they hold. But with narrative non-fiction all the facts can still be present but in a style that is much more engaging for people, especially students. In order to attend you must purchase a ticket for either $10, if you are a student, or $20, if you are an adult. Tickets can be purchased online at www.jclf.org, at Bloomsbury Books in Ashland, Northwest Outdoor  Store  in Medford, and at the door.