The Downside of Advanced Southern Credit

Most students at AHS have heard of Advanced Southern Credit from fellow students and teachers, but for those who do not know, the SOU website states, “The Advanced Southern Credit Program (ASC) consists of university courses taught in the high schools by high school faculty.” It is a way for high schoolers to accumulate college skills and partake in a rigorous curriculum. Although the program is great in allowing students to enjoy the fruits of knowledge that are offered to college students; it has a flaw in its system involving credits.

Anyone who has taken an AP class at AHS has been preached of the benefits that ASC brings in allowing them to gain cheap, early credits. For many that is helpful, but the problem lies in how credits transfer. “SOU credit awarded for ASC classes is accepted by all Oregon University System institutions,” which is great; however, many students go to colleges outside of Oregon. Most of the top tier schools do not accept credit at all. Harvard does not grant credit for “dual-enrollment courses counted for credit” in high school. Yale does not accept “college credits earned while you were in high school.” USC will only accept credit for courses “taught on the college campus by regular college faculty.” “Whitman does not award credit for course work completed in a high school classroom and appearing on a transcript from a college or university.”

So when it comes down to it, ASC credit is only helpful for Oregon college applicants, but that’s about it. If you’re interested in Oregon schools, ASC is for you. But for a large portion of students, ASC is a vastly over inflated program that is the equivalent of burning money. The next time you hear a teacher lecturing the benefits of ASC credit, remember to check if your potential college accepts it before throwing away your money.