Swimming to the Top

As our hopeful swimmers went to districts they weren’t sure what to expect, but after leaving the pool after that long day, they now had high hopes. Personal records and school records were broken left and right as our athletes swam. Kirstin Erickson and Gus Simms both broke the 100 Butterfly school record as Forrest Kollar achieved a personal record in the 100 Free Style. Parker Massie accomplished his own personal record in not just one event but two, the 500 and the 200 Free Style. Sheralyn Shumway executed her own personal best 50 Freestyle. The boys 200 medley relay, last but not least, also accomplished a personal best. The relay team consisted of Parker Massie, Miles Furuchi, Gus Simms, and Forest Kollar. Each of these swimmers accompanied with other teammates, traveled to the state competition.
On Thursday the 17th, twelve hopeful Ashland High School swimmers traveled up to Portland after a long and arduous season to compete at state finals. Kirstin Erickson, seeded first in her event of the 100 breaststroke took an astounding second in state. Gus Simms was right on her tail taking third in his event of the 100 butterfly. Our girl’s relay team, consisting of Sheralyn Shumway, Cassie Hall, Maddy Longshore, and Grace Guislinger took 6th in the 200 freestyle relay. With only one of these swimmers graduating, imagine the possibilities of next year.