Civil War 2010: Another classic?

Every college football season, the state of Oregon waits for a marquee match up: the Civil War. Emotions are always high when the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers face off in the heated rivalry that has a 113 game history. Even non-sports fans take interest in this game due to the statewide impact. Regardless of what has happened during the rest of the year, both teams bring their best efforts and anything can happen in the Civil War.

There have been some classic games in the Civil War, with Oregon leading the series 57-46. One of the most memorable was last year in the “Civil War for the Roses.” It was the first time that the winner of the Civil War would be guaranteed a berth in the Rose Bowl. The Ducks won in a 37-33 shootout, spoiling the Beavers chances at a Rose Bowl for the second consecutive season, sending Oregon to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1995.

This year the Ducks have even loftier goals and there is even more on the line. Although the Beavers have had a disappointing and inconsistent season, they will be playing for bowl eligibility, and the opportunity to ruin their rival’s chances at accomplishing their goals. Assuming the Ducks win their game against Arizona on November 26th, the Civil War will again decide their BCS fate. A win against the Beavers will send the #1 ranked Oregon Ducks to Glendale, Arizona for the National Championship on January 10, 2011. A loss will result in a second straight Rose Bowl. This would be an extremely successful season any other year, but seems disappointing to a team that has been the best in the nation for most of the 2010 season.

In addition, the Civil War could have Heisman Trophy implications. With LaMichael James ranked second in Heisman voting, an outstanding performance could help his chances to pass Cam Newton and become the favorite for the award. Look for “LaHeisman” and OSU running back Jacquizz Rodgers to have an entertaining personal competition. Both are similar players and the go-to-guys for their respective teams. Whoever has a better game could decide which team is victorious.

On December 4th, 2010, all eyes will be on Reeser Stadium in Corvallis. Televised on ABC at 12:30 PM, the 2010 Civil War game could be another classic in one of the oldest and most famous college rivalries.

[polldaddy poll=4136675]